October 9, 2010

A Message To You

Originally written January 1, 2005

The bummy hat you always wear.
The “this-could-be-unhealthy” obsession with Jamie Lee Curtis.
The Lisa Loeb-esque glasses you wear.
The sense of room interior decoration you learned from Scott.
The tough girl front you put up.
The compassionate and selfless girl you really are.
The two decades of video games hiding in your room.
The unwavering dedication you have for your family.
The coordination it takes to skateboard that your brothers completely lack.
The talent it takes to play an instrument that your brothers totally lack.
The appreciation for all waves ska.
The amazing stories you’ll have ]that you can never tell anyone about.

Cause this is what you do best. You’ve seen, done, been through and kicked ass more than anyone else would ever know. You show different sides of yourself at different times, but underneath it all there is a sweet and compassionate and loving girl that I’m very happy to say is my sister. I wish I knew you better, but what I do know of you I love very much. And this next year, nothing is going to prepare you for how much fun it is going to be. Sure there’s the being an adult thing, but like your brothers, you’ll find your own way to get by and have a great time doing it. I’m really happy for you, I’m really proud of you...

The world looks just the same today. The sun will rise and the trains will run on schedule. But they won't understand. They aren't like us, they could never be who we see ourselves as. So light the candle and watch it burn away. We have a plan to show them all what's in store.

No comments: