July 5, 2009

Daybreak

Originally written March 18, 2007

When we said to each other it was time to go our own separate ways, we gave a new meaning to that expression altogether. To the opposite ends of the world we would go, surrounded by a supporting cast of characters that existed in that moment only, and never in between should we have met again.

Far from our own breaks with reality, we returned to what was the north shore. But this was no longer the home we knew. Where I had sought to bring the band back together, you were too far down your own path to ever come back to the fold. For years I never understood the direction you chose, I always thought you could find your way back home.

Now I understand why you still have to travel to the far corners of the earth. Maybe we can't put those feelings into words, but I get it, because the moment I realized why I had found myself on the dark side of the moon, my thoughts came back to you, as they always do. And it made sense, in a sunshine sort of way. The adventure, the uncertainty, the desire to find those stories that no one back in our little world would ever dare to believe.

There was no justifying the ends, we use what means are at our disposal. Every day we wake up to a revolving door of surprises, never knowing what adventure lies just beyond the willingness of our conscience to step it up a little more. We gave up everything we accepted to be our purpose, and threw caution, she of little use to those like us, back into the wind.

Sometimes these things just happen, they will always happen to you and me, and I see that now. For what it is worth, I know what you have been searching for. For people like us, it means everything; it’s what makes us feel alive. We never had a choice in the matter, and we wouldn’t have had it any other way.

No comments: