Originally written November 1, 2008
Since that day then I have remained on the sidelines of our political realities. In the matter of a year, I motivated and disenchanted, lied, schemed and manipulated my way into the highest ranks of my generation’s political leaders. For what I had done was merely a hobby, a training ground for the life I would one day lead. And it was in this moment together I found out what we are all capable of.
Politics, in its inspiring and motivating glory, washes across us in ambivalence. We have spoken the same words to the same crowds; we have seen this story unfold before us time and again. There is no lesson to be learned here, there is no deeper understanding to take away. Political words meant to incite that feeling of belonging within us, carefully scripted events to create the desired perception.
How much influence can one person have on a political system not designed for entry of the ordinary among us? The hardest part of politics is convincing people to give you the authority to make their decisions for them, all while they themselves are trying to convince each other they should be one in control. You appeal to a common theme, a battle cry, a uniting interest. You rally what support you have against one particular person or diverging interest. Y ou appeal to the masses on a generic level, you appeal to their basest desires. You give them enough of a leash to keep them from biting the master, and on that day then, you turn them loose against that big bad.
Nothing appeals more to the hearts and minds of the politically passionate than the image of a reformer. Because nothing is ever good enough, no one can ever be content. If you had the choice between the world you know and the one that is being promised to you, however contrived those promises may be, the ideologues will follow in those footsteps of giants. Imagine the world and its endless possibilities, and never be held accountable for what things may come your way.
There are two issues for which I base political machinations upon . The first is our continued support and commitment to global free trade policies and international institutions such as the World Trade Organization and International Monetary Fund. I n the world I see, we will look back upon the macro-economic impact these organizations have had as they as the best solution to long term growth and opportunity for the world over. And not one person among you has any interest in this topic of conversation.
There is another issue for which all things political must revolve around. The responsibility in this society for which we owe to each other, the responsibility we must expect from our government. And in that regard, my political views can be gathered by this singular idea:
My responsibilities end where your responsibilities begin.
There is an idea of a James McLaughlin, and after years of dedication to that idea, we have made it into a reality. Through college across three campuses, law school and politics, the adventure in the Orient and the collapse that followed, every decision we made was to get to this point in my life, and I have the scars to show for it. For what I am capable of, I wish I could have done more for those around us that have crossed my life path. In time, I hope to have that ability to make sure my friends and family never know need or want in their lives. You could not imagine the world I have seen on that dark side of the moon. For if there was any thought in my mind of saving everyone, it has faded into that night sky, and replaced with the reality before us.
Everyone carries with them their stories. I have made decisions in my life that have had unfortunate consequences, but with each move I have made, I came closer to what I always wanted. There is a level of sacrifice we all must make for that day then to come. But I will not tolerate those that choose the easy route through life and expect to be saved when those choices fail to materialize. It is not my fault if generations of your genetic makeup have failed to provide you with an equal playing field. It is not my fault that you could not excel in the education you were provided with. It is not my fault if you succumbed to the pressures each of us face, different forms they may be, each and every day.
If a friend asked me for help, I would fight heaven and hell to see that they make it through to the other side. But you can’t ask me to take that same responsibility for those that wouldn’t fight for me. For a year I lived in a communist country. For several months I traveled through welfare based states of Europe. America rewards ingenuity, passion, hard work and respect. We should not reward failure, ineptitude. There are going to winners and losers in this life, and not everyone can have what we have worked for. On that day then, when those promises are made and those lives remain the same, look within yourself and ask what was the most important decision you made that led you to this point in your life. And then ask that question to those around you. Find out what people really value. Not just hope and dreams, promises of a better tomorrow that are taken from hallmark cards. Stand up for yourself, stand up for your family and friends, fight to make your life better so that we don’t have to support your choices later on. Forget the promises, the utopian society that can never be delivered upon. There is only today, there is only what you have in this life. Fight for that possibility, fight for that dream. There is an idea I hold for each and every one of you, we all can be heroes if we tried, and it begins with you.
And its time McLaughlin found his way back to politics.
No comments:
Post a Comment