May 25, 2009

The Best of What's Around

Originally written November 1, 2005

"Maybe we should lower our expectations on this sweetheart."
"Never settle for second best ."

This is what I see when I look back on it all. These moments, blinding as snow, they kill you, change you. You die and live again, remade. But thats the genius of the hole. No matter how long you spend climbing out, you can still fall back down in an instant.

You come to, admist the wreckage of your own making. Do you stay there, eyes squeezed shut, afraid to move? Or do you crawl out, help your loved ones, make sure the fire doesn't spread, try to fix it?

What do you value, what matters to you in the most basic, fundamental sense? Life, freedom, money, power? I didn't dig the hole, I only found myself in it. When I meet God, I'll tell him I was framed.

No comments: