May 25, 2009

The Last of the Salad Days

Originally written September 4, 2005

The resumes and transcripts and cover letters were sent out to the hopeful employers this week. 18 Chicago firms, 5 Washington D.C. firms, and one company up in Minneapolis. NowI'm looking through the LL.M. programs in England. Most people ask, what's an LL.M.? Not sure. Well, its latin and I don't remember or care what the abbreviation is, but its doctorate on top of a law degree. So what's the point, right, I'll be a lawyer anyways. Two reasons: I want to practice international trade and commerce, and in order to be good in that field, I need more brains for it, I need to learn more. The second reason is what my Dad always tells, its the last opportunity I will have to profitably waste my time. On top of all that, I'll be applying this week for a two year clerkship in the Court of International Trade in New York.

Where we go from here. Things change, people have to grow up sometime. I have to get a job. If I don't get a job, I'll get another degree, and then I'll get a better job. Make no mistake about it, money buys happiness. Thats the end game, and the rest of this year is all about getting that first firm job. From there, things just have a habit of falling into place for me.

No comments: