May 25, 2009

Traveling Man

Originally written July 17, 2005

"As we arrive at Espace I'm on the verge of tears as I'm certain we won't get a decent table. But we do; relief washes over me in an awesome wave."

Small events make all the difference in the world. Because people can't put things into an appropriate scale. You do something insignificant for someone else, but something they needed to have done, you gain more than the trivial work you put in for them. Politics is the best example of this. By making yard signs and knocking on doors, you'd spend a couple hours of a saturday morning volunteering for a cause or a candidate or whatever. But the people running the show will always take notice of who is the first to arrive and the last to leave.

I've come across too many people, including myself sometimes, that feel they deserve an A, or they deserve a job or credit. Its not what you deserve, its what you take. If you're terrible at what you do, find something else. But if you're solid, you can make your own breaks. Things have a habit of falling into place for me, not because I get lucky, but that I won't settle for anything but that endgame. People ask what is it that I'm working towards, what at the end of that rainbow do I expect. I have no idea if I'll know it when I see it, but I know I won't settle for anything less. Lesson for today, never stand still for too long.

No comments: