May 31, 2009

On The Turning Away

Originally written August 28, 2006

No matter how good you are don't ever let them see you coming. Sometimes you can make all the difference in the world without anyone knowing you did anything at all.

Before I take on the far side of the world, I need to pass along one last order, one lesson in time that you have to carry on in my place. I have not always been the man on a righteous path; I have been the big bad time and again. But I recognize everyone has their responsibilities and some of them extend far past what is expected of us.

In time, you will encounter those that have yet to find the path. You will find those that need someone to fight for them until they learn from you how to fight for themselves. You will take on that mantle, that responsibility to watch over those around you, because that’s what we do. We know at the end of the day what's right, and we protect those that we see a reflection of ourselves in.

It’s what we do. I have done what I could, and yet it was never enough. It’s the battle of evermore; no matter what you do there are always more demands on you than what any of us can manage. But you can't turn away now; you may be the one person that cares. Despite the differences you may have, they need you as much as you need me. We were never separate people that met by accident, that randomly found each other. We were meant for this. You fight on; to make sure those you care about know that through the best of times and the worst of times they always have a seat at your table. People will look to you for guidance in their lives. It’s your responsibility to carry out my last orders.

No comments: