May 27, 2009

Scavengers

Originally written January 21, 2006

After the last round was fired, my fears of losing all that I have worked so hard to create faded away as a great ball of white healing light washed over me. My fears were justified though, every once in awhile we need to hit that reset button and start a new game. This isn't that once in awhile. There is a calm in every storm while the eye passes through. As soon as I let my guard down to believe that we were not in a revolving door of surprises, which I had believed for so long, I realized your prayers are answered in the order that they are received.

For that imminent future, we arrange the good and the bad in such a way that serves us best. The timeline for things falling into place simply does not extend out to great lengths. On a short enough timeline, the survival rate of everything is infinite.

Things have a habit of falling into place for me. These plans are best laid when there is some vague idea of what the ending should be, not what it has to be. Too often I fall into the trap of trying to plan out the scheme over a long of a period of time. There too many variables to account for, you control everything only some of the time. Imagine yourself a part of scavenger hunt, where each piece you find may or may not help you find that next piece. But you collect them anyways, to cover all possibilities. So while there is the intensity to plot the course for the long term, the best laid plans are kept close to the heart.

I'm about to find many more pieces to that ever expanding puzzle, and when I do I'll be called upon to do what I do best with the picture, only to find more pieces. What happens never ends, and I would a fool to expect that it ever would. There are forces at work here far more powerful than the delusions I'm encountering every night.

No comments: